What To Do After An Accident

What to do after an accident

If you are involved in an accident here are some tips so you can be prepared in advance:

STOP! Do not leave the scene

  • Call the police immediately to report any accident, no matter how small, which results in personal injury or vehicle damage. Notify the police as to any necessary medical assistance that may be needed, and of any vehicle that is not drivable.
  • Warn other motorists by turning on your vehicle flashers or other reflective devices (such as flares, if needed).
  • Do not accept responsibility or otherwise discuss the accident with anyone except the police and your independent insurance agent.
  • Do not accept any monetary settlement at the accident scene.
  • Above all, remain calm and courteous.

Exchange iInformation with the other driver

  • Write down the other driver’s license number, license plate number, and note the make, model, year, and description of vehicle. Ask for the driver’s insurance company information (name of company, policy number). Record the name, address, and telephone numbers of the driver.
  • Write down the name and address of all passengers, injured persons, or anyone with property damage.
  • If there are any witnesses take down the contact information for at least two, if possible. This is important when the fault is questionable.

Diagram the accident before leaving the scene

  • Note the time of day, date, weather (sunny, rainy, foggy), and the conditions of the road (wet, dry, icy).
  • Show position of all vehicles before and after the accident – plus location of signs, streets, and medians.
  • Note any apparent damage to all vehicles involved in the accident.

A Final note:

After you have taken care of everything at the accident scene immediately notify your independent insurance agent. Be sure to keep copies of all documents related to the accident.

You can find an accident form at the Massachusetts RMV website:



  1. Technically it’s not a low-ball offer. It’s a policy-limits offer. It just doesn’t hepapn to be enough to cover your damages.The first thing I would do it contact the state department of insurance to see if there are any rules or laws governing how such claims are apportioned to each party. The fairest way to handle such a claim is to take the total amount of everybody’s damages, figure out what % of the total is yours and what % is the other person’s, then apply those percentages to the total amount of the available insurance. There may be no rule about this though and they possibly divided it up some other way or did first-come first-served or something.You’ll not be able to squeeze any more money out of the insurer than whatever the limits of the policy are that the responsible person paid for. That’s all there is.You have other options:A) If you didn’t sign a claims release you can pursue the responsible driver for the difference in small claims court.B) You can make a claim under your collision insurance if you have it.C) You can make a claim under your UMPD (uninsured/underinsured motorists property damage) coverage if you have it.D) You can shop the repair around and see if you can get a cheaper estimate. Tell the shop what you have to work with and see what they can do.E) You can file a claim against the driver of the car directly behind you alleging negligence / partial negligence in some way on their part.F) You may be able to take payment for the rental car they were going to get for you in cash instead of actually renting a car (in some circumstances / places).

Leave a Comment